Home 2018-02-20T22:46:53+00:00

Welcome to the Byrum Woods neighborhood

Byrum Woods is a well established neighborhood north of Raleigh, North Carolina. We are located north of I-540 and west of Creedmoor Road. Byrum Woods was developed in the 1980’s and is home to about one hundred families.

We are located about thirty minutes from downtown Raleigh, Wake Forest, Durham, and Research Triangle Park (RTP). To get to Chapel Hill, add another fifteen minutes to the drive.

The neighborhood is filled with families that have lived here for thirty years and have seen their children grow up and move out, to new families with infants. It provides a great mix of people, experiences, and a wide set of potential friends.

Each house in the neighborhood has approximately one acre of land, and most homes have a mature grove of trees in their backyard, where you will often find our resident family of deer. As a wooded community, you will find deer, snakes, and a other local wildlife. For water, we are on a community well ran by Aqua. According to some of the older residents, the lots were designed to be about one acre each to ensure that the well could support all of the households.

Byrum Woods News

LED Questions

January 19th, 2018|

We have received a few questions regarding the LED lighting proposal. The Board would like to share the questions, and to provide what information we have available.

The first question was regarding the blue light intensity of the proposed lights. The question referenced the following AMA recommendation: https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-adopts-guidance-reduce-harm-high-intensity-street-lights

The second set of questions were regarding the technical specifications of the new LED lights:

  1. What is the energy consumption per sodium light? _______KWh per LED light? _______KWh
  2. What is the color temperature of the current sodium light? _______K LED light? _______K
  3. What is the life expectancy of the new LED bulb?
  4. What […]

LED Lights

January 13th, 2018|

Duke Energy Replacement Street Lighting to LED

With the help and insight provided from one of our neighbors, Lorrie Maggio from Duke Energy, we have been informed that our subdivision is eligible to upgrade our neighborhood street lighting from the current sodium lighting to a more cost effective and efficient LED.

Did you know, every household is billed for neighborhood street lighting by Duke Energy? As of Jan 1, 2018, the rates increased, and are now $3.20 per light, and with LED would reduce to $2.70 per light, or a $.50 per light reduction per month per customer.

The new LED lighting has […]

Upcoming Events

Annual Meeting

September 18 - September 20

Halloween Party

October 31 @ 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm

Annual Dues

Collected as of 5 Feb 2018

It is that time of year again, where the community collects the annual HOA dues. This year, as in years past, the dues are $60 per household. Approximately 70% of the dues collected go for maintaining the entranceways, and the remaining 30% go for our annual social events. If you get a call or visited by a Board member, please pay promptly. The Directors are all volunteers, and nobody enjoys going door to door to collect money.

Last year we had 98 households pay last year, and our goal is to get to 100 households this year.

Legal Status

The Byrum Woods neighborhood was developed in the 1980’s in three Phases (Phase I-III). Each phase has it’s own restrictive covenants. In 2002, the covenants were amended, and the 2002 covenants are the legally binding covenants today.

Currently, the Byrum Woods Home Owner’s Association is not empowered by the covenants to make assessments, conduct fines, or place liens on homeowner’s properties. Covenant enforcement is primarily through voluntary compliance, and if that fails, each homeowner is able to sue other homeowners for covenant non-compliance.

There are no common areas owned or maintained by the HOA. The HOA does maintain the signs in the front of each entranceway, but the signs are not on community owned land.

Since the HOA is voluntary, several members have purchased homes in the neighborhood without any knowledge of the Restrictive Covenants, to be surprised later than the covenants apply. Please make sure to communicate with the HOA Board to get the latest information prior to purchasing a house in the neighborhood.

Contact the Board

For the current legal status of the Byrum Woods Home Owners Association and the Restrictive Covenants, please contact the Byrum Woods HOA Board at byrumwoodsnew@gmail.com. They will be able to provide you the latest information and will be able to answer your questions. The Board is filled with volunteers, so their response may not be immediate.